When Dark Horse Comics decided to finally give the Emperor's Hand her own solo spotlight in the Mara Jade: By the Emperor’s Hand miniseries, they needed a visual storyteller who could match her sheer grit and intensity. Enter the legendary Spanish comic artist Carlos Ezquerra. Co-creator of Judge Dredd and a master of complex antiheroes, Ezquerra brought a cinematic, powerhouse dynamic to the Star Wars galaxy. We had the privilege of tracking Ezquerra down to discuss working alongside Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole, the unique challenge of maintaining graphic continuity for a fan-favorite icon, and why he loves characters who walk the fine line between hero and villain.
Jade Crusades: When did you become a Star Wars fan?
Carlos Ezquerra: Ever since A New Hope. It was the first time you could see a Sci-Fi film that actually looked like a comic.
Jade Crusades: Which of the four Star Wars movies is your favorite and why?
Carlos Ezquerra: At the moment, still A New Hope. Mainly for the impact it had on me. The Prequel Trilogy looks very promising, but as they are unfinished, I can’t say very much about them.
Jade Crusades: How familiar are you with Mara's character?
Carlos Ezquerra: I wasn't until I was offered the series. Then, the more I read about her, the more I loved the character. She has many points in common with characters that I usually draw. I love characters where you can't tell exactly if they’re the hero or the antihero – good or bad. A bit like life itself...
Jade Crusades: You drew Mara for the Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand comic book. Can you tell us what it was like illustrating such a popular character?
Carlos Ezquerra: It was very exciting. She is such a strong character! I had to show her strength graphically, and at the same time she had to have continuity with all the work other artists had done with her previously. It was quite a challenge.
Jade Crusades: What preparations did you go through before illustrating Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand?
Carlos Ezquerra: I started out by reading all the other episodes she had appeared in. As I said before, she had to have continuity with earlier comics. Plus all the usual documentation about the Star Wars machinery, aliens, and locations.
Jade Crusades: How did you create Mara's image for Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand?
Carlos Ezquerra: Mara came to my mind in a very clear way. I had in mind how she had to look from my first reading of the scripts. My only hope was that it would coincide with the image fans had of her.
Jade Crusades: What was it like working with writers Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole?
Carlos Ezquerra: It was fun and a nice experience.
Jade Crusades: What other assignments are you currently working on?
Carlos Ezquerra: I just finished the last episode of Just a Pilgrim for Black Bull Comics. I am now working on a Strontium Dog story for 2000AD, in England, and Garth Ennis's War Stories for DC Comics.
Jade Crusades: Does it look like the future will hold any other any Star Wars projects?
Carlos Ezquerra: No, I haven't had any more offers after the Mara Jade miniseries.
Jade Crusades: When did you realize you wanted to become a professional artist?
Carlos Ezquerra: A long time ago, when I was doing service for the military. I met another artist who convinced me to become a comic book artist. Before that time, I had never thought about it even though I always loved reading comics.
Jade Crusades: Who are some of your artistic influences?
Carlos Ezquerra: My biggest influences as artist were Italian Hugo Pratt and Latin-American Alberto Breccia. Also very important influences to me were filmmakers Eisenstein, John Ford, Sergio Leone, Kurosava, and many others.
Jade Crusades: What would you recommend to other aspiring artists wishing to do what you do?
Carlos Ezquerra: Take an interest in films. How you tell a story is more important than how you draw it. And be a fighter. Never consider yourself finished, even when everybody else thinks so.
Jade Crusades: Thank you for taking part in this interview!
Carlos Ezquerra: Thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment